What is depression?
If you’re depressed you can have lots of different emotions, thoughts and behaviours. It’s not only sadness you feel. You might also:
- Feel on-edge or worried (also called anxiety)
- Have trouble sleeping
- Not have any energy
- Not feel like eating
- Not feel like showering or getting dressed
- Get annoyed or upset by little things
- Stop enjoying things you used to find fun
- Feel that your life is pointless
- Have thoughts about wanting to die or hurt yourself
- Feel cut-off from others and alone
- Feel negative about yourself
- Feel angry
- Feel empty or numb
What to do if you think you’re depressed
Keep talking to people until you find somebody who can help you. Don't give up!
Here some people you can try talking to:
Ways you can help yourself feel better
Everybody is different. What works for someone else may not work for you. But that’s okay because there’s lots of ways you can start getting back on track:
Do something fun or nice for yourself
Ask a parent to take you to a doctor
Talk to a counsellor and get help
Remind yourself that you can get better
Spend time with people who make you feel safe and good about yourself
Tune out negative thoughts by watching a movie or TV
“There are many people who had depression in the past and have gotten better. You can too!”
but you don’t have to deal with it alone!
Talking helps! We’re here for you.
No problem is too big or too small.
We're here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week