1. Cousineau, T.M., Franko, D.L., Trant, M., Rancourt, D., Ainscough, J., Chaudhuri, A., & Brevard, J. (2010). "Teaching adolescents about changing bodies: Randomized controlled trial of an Internet puberty education and body dissatisfaction prevention program". Body Image, 7, 296-300.
2. Lewis, Vivienne, Dr (2012) Positive Bodies -Loving the Skin You're In. Australian Academic Press.
3. Hutchinson, N and Calland, Chris (2011) Body Image in the Primary School. Routledge, Oxon. p1.
5. State Government of Victoria (2011). Better Health Channel: Body image - Women. Retrieved from:http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/body_image_issues_for_women on 25 July 2014.
6. Bernier, C.D., Kozyrskyj, A.L., Benoit, C., Becker, A.B. & Marchessault, G (2010)"Body Image and Dieting Attitudes Among Preadolescents" Canadian Journal of Dietic Practice and Research, 71(3),34-40.
7. Australian Government Information Fact Sheet 4 -Body Image. Retrieved from: http://www.youth.gov.au/sites/Youth/bodyImage/informationsheets/Documents/BodyImageFactsheets_webaw4.pdf on 30 July 2014.
8. Op cit Hutchinson p 13.
9. Ibid pp 13-14.
10. Richardson, S.M. & Paxton, S.J. (2010). "An evaluation of a Body Image Intervention based on Risk Factors for body dissatisfaction: A Controlled Study with Adolescent Girls". International Journal of Eating Disorders, 43 (2), 112-122.
11. Women's and Children's Health Network, "Kids Health" Retrieved on from: http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetailsKids.aspx?p=335&np=287&id=1634#4 on 28 July 2014.
12. Barber, B.L., & Abbott, B.D. (2010). Embodied image: Gender differences in functional and aesthetic body image among Australian adolescents. Body Image, 7, 22-31.
13. Mission Australia (2010). National Survey of Young Australians 2010: Key and emerging issues. Retrieved from:http://www.missionaustralia.com.au/downloads/national-survey-of-young-australians/271-2010 on June 30 2011.
14. Thompson, J. K., & Smolak, L. (2001). Body image, eating disorders, and obesity in youth: The future is now. In Thompson, J. K., and Smolak, L. (eds.), Body Image, Eating Disorders, and Obesity in Youth: Assessment, Prevention, and Treatment. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC, pp. 1-39.
15. Presnell, K., Bearman S., & Madeley M. (2007). Body Dissatisfaction in Adolescent Females and Males: Risk and Resilience. The Prevention Researcher, 14 (3), 3-6.
16. Op cit Cousnineau.
17. Choate, L. (2007). Counselling Adolescent Girls for Body Image Resilience: Strategies for School Counsellors. Professional School Counselling, 10 (3), 317-326.
This topic was last reviewed October 2014.