Kids Helpline @ School
Free, early intervention and prevention sessions that allow primary schools to invite counsellors into their classroom via video link or phone.
Each session is facilitated by a tertiary qualified Kids Helpline counsellor who works with the teacher/school counsellor to tailor each session to the needs of the school and particular class.
About Our Sessions
Free sessions are available to all primary schools Australia-wide. Kids Helpline counsellors encourage safe, open and inclusive discussions about a range of topics relevant to students' lives. Sessions are all evidence-based, contain fun, interactive components and may also include scenarios or videos to engage students in problem solving.
- Improve students' mental health literacy and emotional intelligence
- Promote positive overall health and wellbeing
- Assist students to develop greater resilience and self-efficacy
- Normalise and encourage help-seeking behaviours
- Enhance students' communication skills within interpersonal relationships
- Encourage positive digital citizenship
Benefits for schools:
- Access to externally run sessions designed to empower young people by recognising and developing their strengths/skills
- Build a safe relationship with counsellors to support student help-seeking
- Promote accessibility to Kids Helpline which is available to support students at any time (24/7) for any reason (via telephone/online services)
- Sessions can be tailored/personalised to better suit your school/class/students
- Topics are aligned with the Australian curriculum and relevant to the current school environment
- Access to free, professional and educational/informational resources
In 2016, 14,822 primary school students from 170 schools participated in a total of 539 sessions with a Kids Helpline Counsellor.
Since the program has been running, Kids Helpline has seen contacts from primary school aged children increase from 8% in 2013 to 14% in 2016. This suggests that more children have knowledge of Kids Helpline and have the confidence and trust to reach out when they need help.
Book a free session at your school!
Resources from our partners
Kids Helpline @ School is an eSafety Certified Online Safety Program Provider.
The Office of the eSafety Commissioner website also provides age-based resources and lesson plans for primary and secondary students.
KidsMatter provides schools with a range of resources to help them support children's mental health and wellbeing. Teachers can find learning packs and other resources on their website. Learn more about the Kids Helpline and KidsMatter partnership in this PDF.