Frequently Asked Questions
How do I cancel/reschedule a session?
What is a Pre-Session Consultation?
A pre-session consultation is a great opportunity to discuss the session content with a counsellor and tailor it to better suit your class. It is also a chance to ensure the technology will work on the day of your session. If you are unfamiliar with the technology, a counsellor will provide you with training and support and can assist you to troubleshoot any issues.
A pre-session consultation normally runs for 30 minutes maximum and can be run during school break times or before/after school hours, if required. We recommend each teacher running one or more sessions conducts one pre-session consultation. If a teacher books multiple sessions, they only require one pre-session consultation.
For your pre-session consultation:
- You will need a webcam, microphone & speakers. (Please set these up in advance if possible.)
- Please run the pre-session consultation in the same location with the same setup (including smartboard/interactive whiteboard) as the session, if possible. This will allow us to ensure technology setup is correct and working well.
- Please keep your mobile phone close so we can call and assist if there are any technical issues.
- You may like to invite any ICT support available at your school to attend, just in case!
- If more than one teacher will be involved in the session, we recommend inviting them to attend the pre-session consultation if possible! (Student attendance is not required at the pre-session consultation.)
- The Team Leader will send you connection instructions specific to your technology prior to your pre-session consultation.
How many sessions can I run?
You can run as many sessions as you like! Some teachers organise for their class to run multiple topics. Some schools organise for every class in the school to complete a session on a particular topic. If you need any assistance to make multiple bookings, please CONTACT US.
Can you run face-to-face sessions at my school?
Kids Helpline @ School sessions are only available via video conferencing. If you have any queries about face-to-face sessions or counsellors attending events, you are very welcome to CONTACT US.
Do you run sessions with high schools?
Kids Helpline @ School is a primary school only program. We also run a free program for high schools in North Queensland and New South Wales. To find out more and book sessions click HERE. If you are a high school in other parts of Australia you're able to register interest in running sessions for the possible expansion of this program. Please complete our registration form HERE.
How do I book a session?
If you are interested in booking any session/s or would like to find out what session dates/times we have available, please follow the steps below:
- Click BOOK A SESSION
- Select your state in the top right hand corner to reflect your time zone
- Choose the date and time that suits you
- You will then need to register an account or log in - this will allow you to view and reschedule any bookings you make
- You will be prompted to insert the session information in order to finalise your booking (eg. session topic, year/class, number of students)
If the times and dates available on the booking page do not suit your class, please CONTACT US
Are there any pre/post session activities that I can run with my class?
Pre and post session activities are available for some topics and are listed under each of our available TOPICS. These are designed to promote student interest, awareness and questions about each topic and reinforce learning.
Can I request other topics that aren't listed on your website?
The topics listed on our website are the sessions available to book. If you would like to suggest a module to be created on a different topic, please CONTACT US.
How long does a Kids Helpline @ School session go for?
Most sessions run for approximately 45 to 60 minutes. However, due to the attention span of the younger grades, these may only run for 30 minutes.
What video conferencing technology is Kids Helpline @ school using to run sessions?
We are currently using a variety of video conferencing resources and programs in order to connect with primary schools around Australia.
- Zoom Video Conferencing (preferred)
- Microsoft Teams
- Webex Meetings
- Webex Teams
- Google Meets
- Cisco (Tandberg)/Polycom Video Conferencing Equipment
- Connected Classrooms (via Dart Connections available for NSW Public Schools)
Please note that we try to work in with whatever technology primary schools are able to access. You will need access to video (a webcam) and audio (microphone and speakers) to run a session.
For more information about which technologies your school can access, please CONTACT US. We assist teachers to organise, setup and practice the technologies available for their school, prior to their session/s.
What is the maximum number of students to participate per session?
Kids Helpline @ School sessions are designed to engage students in open discussion and to connect them with a real-life Kids Helpline Counsellor. Students are more engaged, more likely to participate, and benefit the most when group sizes are kept to a class size. We recommend a maximum of 50 students per session. If you have more than 50 students, it's best to book multiple sessions. All sessions are free and you can book as many sessions as you like.
Bookings for larger or merged groups, delivered more like a lecture style may be negotiated on a case-by-case basis. Please CONTACT US for further information.
How much does it cost?
Thanks to the generous support of our Corporate Partner Bupa, the Kids Helpline @ School program is FREE to all primary schools and you can book as many sessions as you like!